Monday, July 11, 2005

Vocal Range Guidelines

I recently received an email asking about normal and professional vocal ranges. Here are some guidelines:


Note: Middle C is notated as C4, the C above that is C5 etc.

Voice Normal Singer Professional Singer
1st Soprano C4 up to G5 Bb3 to C6
2nd Soprano Bb3 up to E5 A3 up to G5
1st Alto A3 up to C5 G3 up to Fb5
2nd Alto G3 up to C5 F3 up to #Eb5
1st Tenor D3 up to G4 C3 up to C5
2nd Tenor C3 up to F4 A2 up to A4
Baritone G2 up to D4 F2 up to F4
Bass F2 up to C4 C2 up to Eb4

To fully maximize your range I recommend working through the exercises and principles found in the Vocal Coach Expanding Your Range CD. Here are also many helpful tip on range and much more at www.vocalcoach.com/tips .

5 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Colleen Worrell said...

I have a question about the passagios of the voice. My range is from G3 to F6. I break at B3, E5 and B5. Is there really a "Norm" or is it more of an individual thing?

Thanks, Colleen

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger magettis said...

Hi Chris,

I am wondering if Powerade or Gatorade has any effect on the hydration of ones voice. Please advise...

Thanks,
Leidell

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Vocal Coach Chris Beatty said...

Powerade or Gatorade can be good for hydration, and the potassium and magnesium they contain can be helpful. But watch out for the high salt or sugar that some sport drinks contain.

Vocal Coach

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Troy said...

Chris,

Recently, I heard another person who has produced some vocal exercise products say, “Any note you can sing with your falsetto, you can sing with your full voice.” He goes on to say that there is really no physiological reason why a person cannot sing with full voice any high note that one can sing with a falsetto.

I know that you advocate that a person sings in his comfortable tessitura range. Personally, I am not too sure that this is really possible. I know one can expand his range – and I have done so through the use of your fine products.

I was just wondering what your take is on the above statements. Is this something that someone should consider trying? Can a person damage his vocal mechanism if he tries this?

Interesting in knowing,
Troy

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Troy said...

Just a clarification.

My sentence that read something like, "Personally, I don't know if that is possible," was in reference to the claim that one can sing full voice any note one can sing by using the falsetto.

It did not refer to the vocal coach's advice of singing most of the time in your most comfortable range.

I apologize for any confusion.

Troy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home